In the early years, Midwifery as a profession was relatively unknown until Dr. Jose Fabella, founded the first school of midwifery in May 1992 – the Maternity and Children’s Hospital (now called Dr. Jose Fabella Memorial Hospital).
Dr. Fabella spearheaded the organization of the premier school of midwifery in the country with the foremost objective of training young women in midwifery to gradually supplant the unlicensed midwives. High school graduates were accepted to train in midwifery for one year. From thereon, the services of graduate midwives were actively utilized in the health care community. Cognizant of the need to further improve midwifery education, the one year course was expanded to one-year and six month course with additional training on domicillary service.
Thereafter, the midwifery profession has reached a high standard and its activities have, increased in scope. As a result, a group of dynamic midwives recognized the need to organize an organization of midwives who can serve, train and provide health service and education among colleagues and the community.
It was in 1947 when the Philippine Midwifery Association was born, headed by Atty. Angelina C. Ponce. It was composed of members from graduates of midwifery schools in the country with the aim of improving midwifery and education.
In August 1961, the Philippine Midwifery Association held its first national convention, an eventful occasion that brought members of the Association together for the first time. with the theme of “Better Midwifery Service Through Cooperative Undertaking”, the convention was attended by then President of the Philippines, His Excellency Carlos P. Garcia. During the convention, there was a schism resulting in the formation of another organization called the Federation of Filipino Midwives.
The National Federation of Filipino Midwives was formally registered at the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 22, 1961. The new association led by Mrs. Leoncia Chuatoco aimed to have a more progressive profession and for better service to the citizens of our nation. The association organized its 1st annual convention October 28, 1962 at YMCA Family Pavillon, with the theme of “The Role of Midwives In The Nation’s Growth”.
In June 17, 1974, through the efforts of Mrs. Elisea Velasquez Loanzon, then acting President of the National Federation of Filipino Midwives (NFFM), Presidential Proclamation No. 1275, “ DECLARING THE PERIOD FROM October 22-26, 1974, AND THE THIRD WEEK OF October of EVERY YEAR THEREAFTER AS MIDWIFERY WEEK” was passed. This is in grateful recognition of the midwives contribution in the promotion of maternal and child health services in the country.
Through the years, the association have made considerable growth in increasing the membership so much so that the midwifery associations were integrated and accredited by the Professional Regulation Commission and thus became known as the Integrated Midwives Association of the Philippines (IMAP), Inc.. The integration was done possible through the efforts of Dr. Ricardo B. Gonzales then Chairman, Board of Midwifery, Professional Regulation Commission.
It was on March 17, 1976 that the Integrated Midwives Association of the Philippines was registered at Securities & Exchange Commission.
The Association was led by distinguished presidents from 1976 who have given a special dimension to the growth of the Association with their varied expertise.
Through the efforts of the previous president, Mrs. Alice Sanz de la Gente, IMAP, Inc. became an active member of the International Confederation of Midwives based in London, England.